Multymeter.com – In a virtual event entitled “Scary Fast” which was held by Apple on Tuesday (31/10/2023) morning Indonesian time, Apple announced its newest line of M3 chips. There are three M3 chips released by Apple, namely the M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max, which are designed using 3 nanometer (nm) fabrication technology. This Apple M3 chip will power the latest iMac and MacBook desktop computers (PC). These three chips are designed using 3 nanometer (nm) fabrication technology, a first for Apple. In the previous generation of the M2 Series, Apple used 5 nm fabrication technology.
The Apple M3 chip is the latest generation of Apple’s custom-designed silicon for Macs. It was announced on October 30, 2023, and is currently available in the new iMac (2023) and 14-inch MacBook Pro (2023). The M3 chip is also expected to be featured in other Mac models later in 2023 and 2024.
The M3 chip is a significant improvement over the previous generation M1 chip, offering faster CPU and GPU performance, as well as new features such as hardware-accelerated ray tracing and mesh shading.Here is a summary of the key features and benefits of the Apple M3 chip:
- Faster performance: The M3 chip offers up to 35% faster CPU performance and up to 50% faster GPU performance than the M1 chip. This means that apps and games will load faster and run more smoothly on Macs with the M3 chip.
- Hardware-accelerated ray tracing: The M3 chip is the first Apple chip to support hardware-accelerated ray tracing. This technology enables realistic lighting, shadows, and reflections in games and other applications.
- Mesh shading: The M3 chip also supports mesh shading, which is a new graphics rendering technique that can improve performance and reduce power consumption.
- Unified memory architecture: The M3 chip has a unified memory architecture, which means that the CPU and GPU can access the same pool of memory. This improves performance and simplifies programming for developers.
- Custom engines for AI and video: The M3 chip has custom engines for AI and video processing. This enables faster performance for machine learning tasks and video encoding and decoding.
Overall, the Apple M3 chip is a significant improvement over the previous generation M1 chip. It offers faster performance, new features, and greater efficiency.Here is a table comparing the M3 chip to the M1 and M2 chips:
|Up to 8
|Up to 10
|Up to 12
|Up to 8
|Up to 10
|Up to 18
|Up to 16GB
|Up to 32GB
|Up to 128GB
|Hardware-accelerated ray tracing